Saturday, December 8, 2007

What's for dinner???

Sweet sweet short ribs....















- This was 4 beef short ribs, about 1.5 lbs.
- Oven to 375
- Season w/ rosemary/thyme/kosher salt/cracked pepper
- Sear in olive oil ~2min per side, remove to a plate
- Add a medium onion and a garlic clove, sliced to the remaining oil & fat that have rendered out during the sear. Give them a quick saute until just browned & remove to the plate w/ the ribs
- Add 2 cups stock (chicken will do, but I had turkey stock from the smoked turkey I did at Thanksgiving) and 1 cup beer (I used O'fallon smoked porter)
- Bring the stock & beer to a boil, scraping all the browned bits off the bottom of the pan
- Add the ribs & onions back to the pot, cover and braise for about 2 hours.
- Add a few chopped carrots in to the braising liquid about 5-6 minutes before the meat is done.
- After the ribs were done, I strained the sauced, which had greatly reduced and made a thin gravy by adding a little butter, flour and more pepper. Looking back, I would have just kept it as a reduction as the gravy tasted a bit flour-y. But even mediocre gravy is still gravy....
- The white stuff is horseradish mashed red potatoes
- Sorry the photos are blurry. Either my eyes are going or the fact that I was really hungry when making this wouldn't allow me to hold the camera steady...

No comments: